Sr Underwriter, Consultant, Chief Underwriter- Workplace Solutions - Chattanooga, TN
Job no: 497539
Work type: Full Time Regular
Grade: C21, C23, C24
Reports to Manager: Travis Bowlin
Recruiter: Debra Duggan
|Underwrites mid-size new business cases in accordance with company's risk tolerance levels. Evaluates renewal business and other rate and risk bearing analysis for existing clients within established approval limits.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Analyzes data related to the risk being underwritten for medium-sized cases, with an intermediate
level of complexity, in order to determine what benefits, if any, can be offered and at what rates in
order to mitigate financial risk to the company
- Conducts research in order to secure additional data needed to make determinations on benefits and rates
- Communicates effectively with salesforce, brokers and/or other sources concerning underwriting decisions and procedures.
- Communicates in a clear, concise and professional manner utilizing appropriate grammar and spelling in written correspondence.
- Evaluates renewal business and other rate and risk bearing analysis for inforce groups.
- Maintains current knowledge of underwriting guidelines, pricing guidelines and product knowledge.
- Consistently meets or exceeds quality of work and time service expectations.
- Reviews industry publications and stays abreast of Federal, State and business regulations governing group insurance products.
- Assists in the training and mentoring of less experienced underwriters.
- Performs as a subject matter expert on special projects in the division in support of continuous improvement of processes and systems.
This job posting is reflective of the Sr Underwriter essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Underwriting Consultant and Chief Underwriter levels have variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
- You help promote a culture of diversity and inclusion within the department and the larger organization. You value different ideas and opinions. You listen courageously and remain curious in all that you do.
- You are able to work remotely and have access to high-speed internet.
- Action oriented and customer focused.
- Ability to make quality decisions and justify the decisions with sound and logical reasoning..
- Thorough knowledge and experience with group life, disability and dental product lines.
- Strong ability to maintain composure, negotiate and resolve conflicts.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong mathematical & financial aptitude in order to understand pricing strategies and their potential impact on financial results.
- Familiarity with a variety of underwriting concepts, practices and procedures and the ability to creatively apply them.
- Strong relationship building skills with internal and external business partners.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Commitment to active self-development and proactive technical learning.
- Proficient computer skills using various software packages including work-processing, spreadsheet and electronic mail.
- Ability to multitask effectively, work under pressure, meet deadline requirements and be flexible to meet changing customer needs.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in group insurance underwriting.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with group critical illness, accident and dental product lines.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, economics, mathematics and/or related field or equivalent experience in insurance industry.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A diverse workplace where associates feel a sense of belonging
- A organization that feels like a small, close-knit community and has the strength of a Fortune 500 company
- Tuition reimbursement, training and career development
- Competitive salary, incentives, 401(k), flexible work schedules and a healthy amount of time off
MUTUAL OF OMAHA:
Mutual of Omaha serves more than 4.8 million individual product customers and 39,000 employer groups. Our legacy of stability creates an environment where every associate is encouraged to experiment, innovate and grow in their own unique career path.
From day one, you’ll have the tools to be your best self at work. Here you’ll do meaningful work and your talents will have a positive impact on peoples’ lives as we help our customers protect what they care about and achieve their financial goals.
Each associate is a unique contributor to creating a diverse, dynamic, thriving and inclusive workplace. We want you to become engaged … feel a sense of belonging … and contribute to the company’s exceptional future.
Join forces with a company that can AMPLIFY YOUR STRENGTHS AND EMPOWER YOUR CAREER.
For inquiries about the position or application process, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST we will reply within 24 hours.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend